Securing a great job goes far beyond academic qualifications and experience, it is really more of a self-confidence issue. I have seen many educationally qualified people without jobs while many educationally unqualified individuals are making it big.
Low self-esteem is like driving through life with your handbrake on.
The immediate question is “but why”, and the simple answer is “self-confidence”, this is the key many professionals use to win over interviews and get hired for big roles. Self-confidence is the ability to believe in yourself even if nobody else does.
If self-confidence is so important, why do people lack it? There are many reasons but one of the main reasons is fear, the fear to challenge yourself, the fear of disappointment/failure, the fear of lack of knowledge, the fear of judgement from others and the fear of change. Another reason is that some people are not aware that they lack confidence, they think it is the way they are and whom they are destined to be.
Think like a queen. A queen is not afraid to fail. Failure is another stepping stone to greatness.
Here are 10 ways to boost your self-confidence
- Visualize daily – Visualising is a technique of seeing yourself doing the things you love, being the person you are proud of.
- Love yourself – Stop putting yourself down and being hard on yourself. Tell yourself every day that you love you, hug yourself and kiss the mirror because if you don’t no one will.
- Pray and meditate – Wake up every day to a pray or meditation of thanks, be grateful every morning for the things you already have.
- Stay away for negative people – Run away from such people because they will poison your mind with thoughts of fear and doubt.
- Exercise – To feel good every day you need to exercise and produce endorphins that also trigger a positive feeling.
- Do affirmations – Tell yourself daily that you have greatness in you, remind yourself that we are all born equal and you have your part to play.
- Act courageous – Do one act of conscious bravery daily and challenge yourself, soon you will be naturally courageous.
- Help someone else – This will help to promote positive behaviour within you and lower your own anxieties.
- Change your habits – Bad habits like laziness, dishonesty, over complaining, and too much social media and TV can cause you a lot of damage to your self-confidence so, work to change that.
- Understand your purpose – Most of us compare ourselves to others and thus losing sight of our own path, find what makes you unique and how you can use it to impact the world.
#BonusTip: One of the best ways to boost your confidence is to have a great personal brand, starting with your career branding, you need to be extremely professional, you need to stand out above the crowd, you need to be regarded as an industry leader or the next big thing. To get this right you need to start with your CV writing, design and your LinkedIn profile.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.